Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Reading the Same Thing Over Again

Don't you just love it when you are going back to school or even to a new job, and you are being taught the same thing you have already learnt. I'm 25 and I have a year of Computer Technology studies under my belt or in my belt. You know I like that phrase better as in my belt, because it sounds like its a tool belt. Because I've already learnt this before, it has become my tool, in the way I live, in the way I learn, in the way I solve problems. Its not something I want to put under my belt like to hide it. I spent money on that knowledge so why should I hide it? Do you see what I'm saying... (I told you I might go off and ramble.)

So, I need to look up what that phrase really means. So I find out where it came from and what they were trying to say.

Now, back to my "rant" about learning the same thing over again. It sort of frustrates me that I need to reread and re know all of this. Sometimes its a good thing, but a person doesn't necessarily needs to know the most obscure word there could possible be, that you will never need to use. Oh, well. That's just a frustration with school I have. It can be a great refresher too.

Heather's tip: Using different search techniques.
When your creating a search in Google, Yahoo, or even Bing, you can use certain words (Boolean Operators) to make your search more useful. But these words NEED to be capitalized or else it doesn't work. The next time your searching the Internet try this:

  • AND - This will tell the search to find and include these words in the search. ex Canada AND iron AND mines.
  • OR - This will tell the search to find anything with either word. Ex Canada OR lakes
  • " " - This will tell the search to find this exact phrase, or find websites that says exactly this. Ex "Red linen curtain"
  • NOT - This tells the search not to include this word(s) in the search. Ex Diamond NOT baseball.

Try these first without the Boolean Operators, then search with them. This just might help you find what you want a little bit easier and quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment